Monday, January 4, 2010

REAL WOMEN

I love clothes, I love fashion, and I love the art that encompasses these two things. Although I hope to one day enter the fashion world through an art department of a magazine, I don't necessarily believe in the "skinny" of the business. Yes, I understand a designer's point of view, but I also think my point of view, and the views of millions of women (and men!) are correct as well. Actually, I consider the latter to be much more relevant! Don't get me wrong, I think thin girls are beautiful, just as long as they're healthy. Hell, my mother is 5'7" and a size 2, and has been since high school. But when women, such as those seen below, are labeled as "fat" and "disgusting" and "obese," I find myself growing increasingly angrier. Mainly because, to the point, I am those women; as are the majority of women in the U.S. and many countries of the world. I may be more like them, yes, because I am a whopping 5'11," but those women and myself are not obese. We are not fat. We are not plus-size! When people comment on plus-size model's figures with remarks such as "Ugh! She is disgusting and so overweight!" I think, "Would you say that about me?" I'm healthy, I eat fairly well, I exercise, and in so many instances people have said, "You have a great body!" I am like these women below. I am 5'11," 155 pounds, give or take a few, and a size 8-10. I'm proud of what I am, what I look like, and who I am (And not to mention, I have a man that can't keep his hands off of me!) And I'm proud of women who could do what they are doing down there. Are they not gorgeous?! I do envy them. And I have all the reason to. And I applaud to no end for Glamour magazine to showcase these photos. I believe their act, and models such as Crystal Renn and Tyra Banks, among others, speaking out, will truly make an impact on the world. They are showing, yes, that every woman is beautiful. And rightly so. Because we are, in every way.

Yes, this was a very sappy, if not a tad cliche, thing to write. But I felt so inspired, I had to say it.





Images courtesy of Glamour magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment